Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Quote message function

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#1 | Posted: 23 May 2005 04:30 
G'day, Team. I am passing on some feedback from one of my forum members, for your consideration:
"Why can't you just use normal quote functions where you simply press it and it copies the whole thing to your text area? That would be a whole lot simpler, and if you don't want to quote a bit you can just delete it."
Cheers,
mb

Author Anonymous
#2 | Posted: 23 May 2005 08:06 
Marsbar, this will be much more complicated and... actually I cannot understand at all who could need this.

Why should I quote one full letter and after that delete 90% of it? If your friend likes to quote full letters, he can simply cover the full text and quote it. Or you to rework the script specially for him and to destroy your normal function.

This will deliver only problems to hundreds of people and is not very smart. I object.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#3 | Posted: 23 May 2005 08:07 
The above was mine. Sorry.

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 23 May 2005 09:39 
I agree with Ivan, one of the features I dislike about so many other forums is the complete post quote.

Having to manually tag quotes is annoying when breaking down posts.

If you are replying to mosts posts you only need specific text, if it is multiple statements you want to quote and address seperate which in most cases is so, from my experience.

The highlight and quote feature is ideal.

IMHO.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#5 | Posted: 23 May 2005 09:53 
I get angry every time when I see in some BB one square meter of quoted text and under it, for example, only: "Yes." And every time I wonder to it: "Well, what this man/woman did, actually? What he quoted and why he quoted it?"

Like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
and ten times more - the same thing...

Yes.

No!

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 23 May 2005 10:23 
What Ivan said, plus it cuts down on database size if you do not have the option to quote the whole post.

If you really wanted the feature it probably would be easy enough to create an addon for it.

Use php and no javascript.

You would need to add a new link to the post cells like Quote complete post, or similar.

Have the link made up from the main url & action quotepost&postid

Then create a function to pull the text from the post id put it in a variable such as $quotetext have in the template for the textarea value='{quotetext}'

should not be to hard to implement.

edited

infact you would need a little more in the link as you need to reload the same page. So the link would need some relation to the same page aswell.

Hmm need some time to think over that one will post back if you really want the feature.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#7 | Posted: 23 May 2005 10:33 
Hehehe... you have made your point, Ivan. :-) Thanks (to realitybites as well) for sharing your thoughts on the issue.

Quote full post, or select text to quote - each method has its pros and cons. I do not prefer one to the other (ok... I prefer the miniBB default way a bit more), because they both require some action on my part (highlight text I need to quote, or remove text I don't need from quote).

I think the feedback from my forum user, which I received this morning, was prompted by the fact that the quote function was not working at all for this user (please refer to this existing thread "Quote function - support for Safari" for details).

--
EDIT:
To realitybites: thanks for your offer to help. If you can think of a way to implement 'auto quote complete post', please share. I will only seriously consider changing the quote behaviour when I receive more complaints/requests from users.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#8 | Posted: 23 May 2005 10:44 
Well, marsbar :) what is the difficult to select a whole message? Or there is one man born in the world by our Mother Nature, that can quote only full messages and nothing else? And all bulletin boards must be made to his convenience?!

I think that it's not the same. Now I quote what I want. In the other variant I shall need to delete tons of scrap text just for leaving two words! :)

Where he have got this idea from? Ask him, I'm curious :)

I, at least, haven't heard for other BB that has this option...

:)

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#9 | Posted: 23 May 2005 10:53 
...when I receive more complaints/requests from users.

You won't, you can believe me.

By the way, I just quoted you and felt very good that I don't need to delete all the other text that I DON'T WANT to quote.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#10 | Posted: 23 May 2005 11:07 
The user who is complaining might very well argue: sure, Ivan, what's so difficult about removing any excess text?

As I said in my previous post, people have different preferences, and it just so happens that one person on my forums prefer things done on other forums. Mind you, I did not promise him any changes, for I do not jump to make changes each time someONE - yes, literally one person complains, I only said that I would pass on his comments to the miniBB Team - the feedback is still valid user impression after all.

Cheers,
mb

Author realitybytes
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 23 May 2005 11:12 
hmm seems to be many compatability issues with safari.

If you have access to a mac and safari get the debug information when running the script see if any problems can be established from that.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#12 | Posted: 23 May 2005 11:47 
marsbar, nobody is obliged every time to remove all the rubbish that someone wants to put somewhere by his caprice. This is not a kindergarten.

It's not for you, but for him, of course.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#13 | Posted: 23 May 2005 14:58 
realitybytes said: If you have access to a mac and safari get the debug information when running the script see if any problems can be established from that.

Thanks for your suggestion, realitybytes! I'll do that and report back - in the other thread about the quote function and safari support.

Ivan said: marsbar, nobody is obliged every time to remove all the rubbish that someone wants to put somewhere by his caprice. This is not a kindergarten.

*nodding in agreement* Well said, Ivan! :-)

Cheers,
mb

Author Team
8-)
#14 | Posted: 23 May 2005 16:11 
Well, what a hot discussion :-)

I think, "whole" quoting in another BBs is done not through JavaScript (as it is done in miniBB - JavaScript is good, but not working correctly in some browsers, I agree with that) - it is done through POST method, when you click on "Quote and Reply", for example - it opens the special REPLY FORM page. We have reply forms on the same pages as threads, which makes it much more suitable, to post reply immediately. It makes it possible, too, to insert quotes in re-loaded forms, but I don't know - is it useful to reload threads page, just for inserting quote code to it? I guess, it is much more simplier just to Ctrl+C the text and Ctrl+V it into the post message area, then just to decorate it with some symbols.

Minus of this method also is - you can not reply to many message at one time.

So, it's just a matter of education and tastes.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#15 | Posted: 23 May 2005 16:22 
We finished, I believe :) As it is now is very fine :)

By the way, i noticed that now miniBB supports tabulators if the copied and pasted text contains tabulators! An Oscar goes to you for this :)

Thanks!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Quote message function
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑